20.10.21 - Keep It Clean | How To Remove Stains From Your Carpet or Rug
Regular cleaning is an essential element to ensure your carpet or rug looks as good as new for longer.
However, accidents do happen and every carpet or rug owner should know how to remove stains from their product.
Whether it is coffee spills, rogue red wine, or muddy paws, we recommend the independent advice provided by the experts at WoolSafe.
So, here’s how to remove stains from your carpet or rug:
- As a first step, do not panic, but act quickly as the removal of fresh spots is always much more successful than of old stains.
- Decide whether you can tackle the removal yourself. In case of extensive or old, set-in stains, contact your nearest WoolSafe Approved Service Provider.
- Always take up as much of the soil/stain as possible before applying any WoolSafe Approved spot remover.
- Before applying any spotting agent, pre-test it on an inconspicuous area of the carpet.
- Always apply the spotting agent on a cloth, not directly on the stain, ensuring to wear rubber gloves.
- Never use washing up liquid or other cleaning agents not intended for carpet as they leave sticky residues and cause rapid soiling.
- Use small quantities of spot remover at a time, repeat if necessary. Two or three light applications are more effective than one drastic application. Do not over wet the carpet.
- Always work from the edge of the stain towards the middle to avoid spreading it. Blot, never rub.
- Use solvents with care and ensure good ventilation.
- Always thoroughly rinse out water-based spotters with clean water.
WoolSafe also provides guidance on correct carpet care and more specific stain removal, including which carpet cleaning products are safe and effective and where you can find skilled carpet cleaners and inspectors.
Visit the Aftercare section of our website for more information, including the WoolSafe Guide.